About Capital   •   Contact   •   Giving to Capital   •   Website Directory     
    Home | Alumni & Friends | The Capital Foundation | Capital Chronology

Capital Chronology From 1946 to 2006

1946 The Connecticut Engineering Institute opens in Hartford as a pilot project that would become Hartford State Technical College.
1948 The Engineering Institute holds its first commencement
1950 The school's name is changed to Hartford State Technical Institute
1960 Hartford State Technical Institute opens a new campus at 401 Flatbush Avenue
1967 Greater Hartford Community College is founded and enrolls 339 students at classroom facilities in the city's historic South Meadows. Arthur C. Banks, Jr. becomes its first president.
1967 The State Technical Institute becomes Hartford State Technical College with Thomas V. Raimondi as its first president.
1974 Greater Hartford Community College re-locates to the former Phoenix Insurance Company building at 61 Woodland Street in the city's Asylum Hill neighborhood.
1992 Greater Hartford Community College merges with Hartford State Technical College in a state-mandated consolidation. The new institution is re-named Capital Community-Technical College
2000 Capital Community-Technical College becomes Capital Community College.
2002 The College moves to a consolidated campus at 950 Main Street.
2006 The College confers 400 associate degrees and certificates -- the largest class in history -- marking four years of enrollment growth at the downtown campus

Capital Community College Foundation

Send comments to the Webmaster.