Unfortunate Facts About Resumes
- Employers spend an average of 15 seconds per resume.
- On the average, employers grant one interview per 245 resumes.
- Some companies receive over 100,000 resumes a year.
- Employers receive between 10-200 resumes per newspaper want-ad.
- Between 85-95% of all resumes end up in the trash.
Be sure your resume is easy to read!
Implications for Resume Writers
- Get to the point early in your resume. Lead off with your most important information. Appearance counts, so be neat.
- Use your cover letter to specify a time when you and the employer can meet. Follow-up on correspondences with telephone calls.
- Make your resume unique. Give it personality by including a special interests section that will distinguish you from other candidates
- Don't rely solely on want ads for your job search. Use your resume in an effective search that includes information interviews, personal contact referral and persistent follow-ups.
Back to Table of Contents